Thursday, October 11, 2018

Review The Darkest Minds (2018)


The Darkest Minds is the latest in a long line of dystopian future film series based on a set of teen angsty books. A strange virus has killed 98% of children and gives the other 2% one of five unique powers, children who are then categorised by that power and segregated or killed accordingly. One such child, played by Amandla Stenberg (‘Everything, Everything’, ‘The Hunger Games’), manages to survive under false pretences, even though she harnesses one of the “dangerous” powers.

We know what you’re thinking straight away. It sounds a lot like a cross between ‘Divergent’ and ‘Maze Runner’. And you wouldn’t be too far away in thinking that. Of course, these films are all much of a muchness now particularly given that this is the third or fourth iteration of the same type of story, with a similar look and feel. What’s more, the dialogue isn’t particularly great either, although the main crop of characters do gel well as a group and have good chemistry.

Unfortunately, the film also suffers as a result of its place in a book series too. Just as it feels like the plot is really taking shape and picking up pace after all of the setup and groundwork laying, the film grinds to a halt and leaves us hanging ready for the next instalment. Whether anyone will really care what is to follow by the time the next instalment comes around remains to be seen. The book series may well deserve its place in the film industry on merit, but you can’t help but feel The Powers That Be are simply striking whilst the iron is hot, identifying another teen book series and milking it for all its worth. Shame.

0 comments:

Post a Comment